Wednesday, August 14, 2013

I can't come up with a conflict.

My second novel is a slow and steady process.  It's a suspense romance but very different than my first.  When I started writing my first novel, I had the story line down but the characters weren't well developed until I really later.  It's the opposite with my second novel.  I have three characters in my head begging to be unleashed onto paper, but I don't have an awesome story line yet.

The problem is the problem.  Well, the conflict.  Every story needs one and it has to be original, interesting and just flat out awesome.  Figuring out the problem in the story is obviously pretty critical and something I'm having major problems accomplishing.

So what do you do when you're stuck on your first draft?  Watch tv?  Drink coffee?  Surf google and facebook until the wee hours of the night?  Yup, I've done those but I still haven't come up with a conflict and for some odd reason procrastinating doesn't seem to help.

I guess I'll just have to get back to work reading novels by authors I admire and writing until something comes to me.

How do you work through these writing hiccups? 

1 comment: