Monday, May 13, 2013

Writer's Block

I admit it.  I'm stuck.  I have no idea why I can't write anything decent.  Every time I sit at the computer, nothing worth while comes out.  It's like my whole body is screaming for me to move and I'm glued to the floor.

I recently read that writer's block doesn't actually exist.  The author of this statement said that it's an excuse to be lazy.  He also gave a parallel example of a brain surgeon, who cuts open his patient's skull, then says he can't go any further because he has "brain surgeon block".  Point being that other professions can't just throw their hands up and say they're stuck.  So why can we?

I don't know if I believe that.  Sure, there are times that I'm just down right lazy, but then there are times like now.  I can't think of a single good idea.  I've been going a bit nuts trying to come up with one decent short story.  Just something to get the wheels turning.

Nothing.

There are suggestions to overcoming writer's block.  A simple search online suggests:
-establish a writing routine
-carry a notebook everywhere and jot down ideas as they come (I do this...highly recommend)
-just start writing and realize it will probably start off being horrible
-use a writing prompt
-change your surroundings, take a walk, write outside
-take a nap
-be patient

Give some of these a try and let me know what you think.  Or if you have a great tip, please leave a comment!

For me, I'm going to go back to sitting in front of my empty Word document and hope that the inspiration starts flowing...

No comments:

Post a Comment